In 1998, the Civil Aviation Technical Council issued a public request for proposals (RFP No. 1-98) for the Invested Management Contract for Airport Services Provided at the Juan Santamaría International Airport.
Based on this Invested Management Contract (“CGI” for its name in Spanish), in 2009 the Costa Rican government delegated the operation, administration, maintenance, rehabilitation, financing, construction, and promotion of the Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO) to Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A., Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A. is the majority owner of two large business groups represented in the CGI by their parent companies, HAS Development Corporation and Companhia de Participacoes em Concessoes (the CCR Group), which, combined, operate at least 13 airports on 3 different continents and are responsible for more than 56 million passengers per year, providing SJO with exceptional experience in the development, financing, construction, and operation of airport projects.
As part of its obligations in the CGI, Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A. must carry out an intense spending plan and cover all operating expenses and obligations (both financial and in accordance with CGI objectives). It is also committed to improving airport operation and service efficiency by developing the airport’s infrastructure in coordination with government agencies and the private companies operating at SJO.
As a result of this public-private partnership, Costa Rica has benefitted from a world-class airport that contributes to tourism and economic development, the airport community, airline operators, and the government.
Juan Santamaría International Airport is the main port of entry to Costa Rica, an attractive tourist destination recognized worldwide for its natural beauty, warm, friendly people, strong ecological awareness, and a positive business climate enhanced by the best legal and citizen security in Central America and the Caribbean.
Today, Costa Rica has one of the best airports in Latin America.
Provide Costa Rica with a modern airport that contributes to improving the country’s competitiveness, exceeding the standards set out in the Invested Management Contract for the Juan Santamaría International Airport through sound, healthy financial and management decisions.
To be recognized as a leading Latin American airport and be known as a great place to work, with high standards of business practice in the management of a safe, financially sound airport that creates value for its shareholders.
- AERIS Holding Costa Rica, S.A. Certified ISO 9001, from 2004 to the present.
- SJOconsidered the Second and Third Best Airport in Latin America and the Caribbean by Airport Council International in 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2011.
- SJO – Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A., Infrastructure 360° Pioneer Project, Harvard University and Inter-American Development Bank, 2012.
- SJO – Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A. awarded a Director Excellence award in Airport Service Quality for ranking in the top five spots for five consecutive years. Airport Council International, 2013.
- SJO considered Second Best Airport in Central America and the Caribbean, SKYTRAX, World Airport Awards, 2013-2015.
- SJO considered Third Best Airport in Central America, Best Airport Staff category, SkyTrax, 2013-2014.
- Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A.classified as one of the best companies to work for, Great Place to Work Central America and the Caribbean, 2015 to the present.
- Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A.awarded the Ecological Blue Flag, Climate Change category, 2016.
- SJO Aerodrome Certification in compliance with recommended standards and practices by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), Costa Rican Civil Aviation Directorate, 2017.
- Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A. Awarded as Ecological Blue Flag, Climate Change Category 3 stars. 2017
- Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A. Awarded as Ecological Blue Flag, Climate Change Category 3 stars. 2018
- Aeris Holding Costa Rica, S.A. Certified “Airport Carbon Accreditation Level Mapping”