• clear sky
  • 27℃
  • 11:54 am
Procedures and requirements

Exit Permit for Minors

  • Costa Rican minors who wish to leave the country must have a travel permit issued by the General Directorate of Immigration. The Minor Exit Permit must be requested by the minor’s parents and may be obtained either at the General Directorate of Immigration’s central offices in San José or on the day of travel at Immigration’s airport office. Both parent’s signatures and official identification documents are required.

    In the case of foreign minors who have been in the country for more than three months, they will also require this permit. Both parents with a valid ID must be present in order to request this permit.

    What are the requirements for a minor traveling unaccompanied?

    These requirements are regulated by the General Directorate of Immigration, which issues a travel permit on the prior authorization of both the minor’s father and mother. Once the travel permit has been issued, a parent or responsible adult must escort the minor to the airline counter. Airline personnel will take custody of the minor, until meeting with the adult designated with picking up the minor at the country of destination.

    Departure Taxes

    You must pay a departure tax, currently US $29. This tax applies to both citizens and foreigners, minors and adults. It is important for the passenger to find out if the airline with which they are traveling has the departure tax included in the ticket price, if not the tax may be paid at the Bancrédito counter located in the lobby of the airport.

    In this link see a list of airlines including the tax in the ticket price.